Friday, August 3, 2012

Liking your book


Are you happy with the book that you have chosen to read in Bridge? If yes, please explain why. Is it the voice? Is it the diction?  Or is it the content? If you do not like the book please explain why. Do the other books sound more interesting? Also, if you could meet the author of your book, what would you ask or say to them and why? Would you consider reading another one of your authors books? Explain your answer. 

18 comments:

  1. No I do not like my book because my author jumps around a lot and I cannot always understand what points he is trying to make. If I spoke with my author I would tell him to make his points more clear. My authors writing style makes it hard to understand what the significance is of the facts he gives up. It seems like he’s just continuously throwing out facts, but not giving a reason to why he does. If I could read another book it would “They poured Fire on us from the sky” because from what I hear in class his as more of a history, and an actual story to learn from. With my book I don’t understand its content.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am extremely happy with the book that I have chosen for Bridge. The book “They poured fire on us from the sky” is a truly amazing book. The journey that the boys make at such a young age repeatedly blows my mind every time I think about it. The voice’s in the book are unlike any other because each chapter is told by a different character. If I could meet the author of my book I would ask them how they felt writing it. I would also ask them how they felt talking to the boys themselves. I would considering reading another one of my authors books only if they were based on a true story that has a powerful message.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm reading They Poured Fire on Us From the Sky, I am actually really enjoying my book. It's very captivating. It's unbelievable what these boys have been through. Just when you think it can't get any worse, it does. So many awful things happen to them you can't even believe it. But it keeps you reading and interested. I don't wish to meet the author, but I definitely want to meet the boys. I would ask them so many questions about how they view life now and about what happened. I just want to see how they have become now that the war is over and they are safe. I want to see how they act and I want to hear parts of the story from them personally.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am very happy with the book that I am reading. I really like how I can relate to the main character, Sarah. She is a very interesting person, her writing is always entertaining. She has a witty sense of humor and I like that. If I could meet Sarah Vowell I would tell her how much I like her work, and that I look up to her because her writing is awesome. I would probably read another one of Sarah’s books because I like her writing style and now that I basically know her whole life I can connect to her better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I really enjoy They Poured Fire on Us From the Sky for multiple reasons. The voice is very interesting, considering three different boys living the same experience are telling the story through their eyes. Between that and the consist action and drama content, it is impossible to get bored. I, personally, think that I chose the best book out of the three options because it has actually caused me to feel something, which is very hard to find in most books anymore. If I met Benson, Alepho, and Benjamin I probably wouldn’t ask them anything, because if other situations happened that they didn’t tell about in this book, they obviously don’t want to talk about it, but if they were to write another one, I’d be the first person to read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "If I met Benson, Alepho, and Benjamin I probably wouldn’t ask them anything, because if other situations happened that they didn’t tell about in this book, they obviously don’t want to talk about it" I didn't even think about it like that. I bet you're right though. I bet their are many things they didn't want to talk about because they were so gruesome.

      Delete
    2. I don't even want to think about what they haven't told ud.

      Delete
    3. I do I want to hear that stuff! I bet it's messed uppp.

      Delete
  6. Yes i do like my book because the author uses the same format of a book I used to read in high school. If I spoke with the author I would tell her how the formatting of the book reminds me of a book I read in high school called The Poisonwood Bible. And telling her how I love that each chapter have different story telling of each character. If I could read another book it would be the about the Mark learning about Kong-Fu. They Poured Fire on Us from the Sky is a very good book, but I want to read other book to see if it's a good book to read.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am reading “they poured fire on us from the sky” and I like it a lot. There are multiple points of views from each character. I like how they are telling their own story, and somebody isn’t telling it for them. I am glad I picked this book out of the three choices we had. I wouldn’t have picked any other one, they don’t sound interesting to me. I don’t know what I would ask the authors if I met them, they really already explain everything thoroughly. Any question I’ve had has really been answered in the book. It doesn’t leave me wondering at all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I’m reading “They poured fire on us from the sky” and I enjoy the story and the structure it has. It gives you multiple points of view, and you get to witness how the story unfolds, but also how it connects to everyone in the story. The book has dark moments where the characters are attacked, which causes them to take care of themselves. Their facing difficulties that are beyond their understanding and control, but they have put forth the necessary effort so that they can survive.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Take the Cannoli by Sarah Vowell is the book I have decided to read in bridge. In my prediction for the book I knew it was going to be good, and I did not realize until actually reading it about how intrigued I would be. It is obviously good due to the fact that I think the story relates somewhat to Columbia students in searching to portray our voices. What intrigues me so much is what Sarah Vowell uses in her chapters to explain her personal responses to each given situation she is placed in. The content she uses in the book is about the culture of the music, news, and education she learns through her life as a journalist. Sarah Vowell is a person that even through she can be over expressive in how she views her world, she is honest through what she experiences, likes, and knows. Meeting her in person would be interesting. I would try and ask questions relating to how she sees music and news, and listen to how the responses compare to how cool she responds in her books.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I enjoy reading Mr. Salzman's book. It reminds me of my childhood thinking about what I want to do with my life in the future. Well for one I didn't want to practice martial arts because I was to lazy to learn the steps, but I always wanted to become like a famour rogue superhero that only did things that would benefit me and only me. I was a kid at this time don't judge me!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I will be lying if I said yes but I kind of like reading something with excitement. I like his voice but his diction that’s a little jumpy around but it gets boring it’s like looking for a clue. Mark Salzman needs to make a more clear points. Then I will be more focusing on what he his saying.
    I would tell him what’s up brah you need to be clearer with the reader. Because it could confuse people when they read “Lost in Place”. I would try to see if it’s good but then if I don’t like it move on to a different book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. maybe thats why he titlaed it "Lost in Place" because then the reader would get LOST reading the book IN the PLACE they are reading the book. Get the punch line?? :D

      Delete
  12. Yes! Im more than happy with the book I chose. When Jen and K read out our choice of books it was the only one I was familiar with. The story of the lost boys floated around my highschool. I had an idea what it was about but I did not know so I was curious and excited to find out. I love the style its written in. I have never read a book like it. Books I've read that were similar were shortstories but they would resume in the next few pages like They Poured Fire on Us does. I dont know if I'd read another one of theier books. I feel as if it would be repetition. What more could they say? If I saw them I'd ask Benjamin why'd he write so little. I'd also ask Lino why'd he wrote nothing at all.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am content with my book "Take the Cannoli" because it is interesting narrative wise and the voice of the author is amusing and fun. Her diction can sometimes be where it seems like she is talking to you in a a conversation that has much life because of the way she colors her details. this makes my book comfortable to read and easy to follow because of her language being so relaxed. i like my book very much.....

    ReplyDelete