We talked yesterday in our post-lecture discussion about Ames Hawkin's question, "What drives you?". What drove you to apply to Columbia? More than likely it was your creative passion for music, art, dance, etc. In thinking about your creative goals, also think about your academic goals and how they relate. How do your creative goals line up with your academic goals and what are your goals for your time here in the Bridge program as well as for the time you spend at Columbia and when you start to pursue your post-college career path.
While thinking about your own goals, think about the books you are reading. What is "driving" the characters in your books (Sarah, Mark and the Lost Boys)? What are their goals so far? Can you make any connections to your own goals and their goals?
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI wanted to go to columbia mostly because I love being in the city. When I'm in New York or Chicago I feel like I'm on top of the world. There are so many opportunities and endless possibilities. Also I wanted to come here because my best friend is coming here and we are inseparable. I heard all about it from him and I checked it out myself and it just seemed like the kind of place I could fit into really well. I wanted to learn about the guitar while also honing my skills. And I also wanted to do vocals here because I really love singing. I realize though that to get to do all the learning I have to complete this program which I only have one goal for. Pass. I have so much to look forward to if I go to college here. Maybe one day i can make it to warped tour.
ReplyDeleteMy mother was the reason for my application. She has been very supportive and wanted me to become a singer. Singing isn't a career for me I grow bored, its repetitive. My passion came more so after applying. When signing up for orientation they asked my major. Browsing through communications finding they offered PR. To dance and sing is my passion its the fear of a 'struggling artist' that keeps me from pursuing anything in that field. In the lost Boys their goals so far is to find education in America and to journal write their stories for for tuition. The connection between our goals would be relationships. In the story they were told to watch out for American women because they are searching for husbands. In Africa men are allowed to marry numerous women. My mother told me just before class to focus that guys would knock me off my square and only waste time. My mother and their mentor want the best to see us succeed.
ReplyDeleteI wanted to apply to Columbia because my brother is currently attending and I wanted to show him that I could get in also. But that's not the only reason I applied, I really wanted to go to Columbia. As far as Bridge goes my plans are to show the teachers my full potential. I want to do my personal best. I know that if I do not pass bridge I'm going to have to go to community college. And that would absolutely suck. I'm trying my hardest and hoping for the best.
ReplyDeleteAaron Deal
ReplyDeleteJuly 24, 2012
There is a lot that can drive a person. What drives me is the passion to express things at the right time. Whether being at a time of being better academically, or trying to express what you feel at a time musically. This makes me more motivated to live in the moment in what I am trying to build or express. The narrative behind my drive is learning and interacting with people who want to share their ideas in a creative way and putting ideas together to start something different. Based on the book I read by Sarah Vowell, she expresses that what drives her most is art, and the fact that most of the people in her life art not big fans of what she does to expresses herself aesthetically, or musically. Her dad does not like art, her sister likes guns more than art, and yet she still pursues music. I can respect a lot about what she does since she makes it more apparent that she just wants to be heard and live in the moment. One of the reasons in applying at Columbia college of Chicago is to pursue my passion of music business to the point of helping others make their voices heard and making sure importantly I get to be heard. The creative goals are so much my passion, but pursuing my academic goals as well will prepare me more to carry what I learn in bridge and in the fall and to carry them over to different places. Based on everything, there is no time like the present.
My high school teacher art teachers, Ms. Weber, Ms. Lorenz, are the reason why they made me apply for Columbia. During out my years in the art classes, I learn that you can do anything in your career through art. Plus, I wanted to go to Columbia because I love to around places that I had never seen or been before and it away for me to meet new friends from different cities, or states. My goals are to complete all my years at Columbia, and maybe want to continue on with education at Academy of Art University (location in San Francisco, CA). I realized in the bridge program could help me with the preparation for this college, and if I pass this course I would able to attend, if not, community college would be a starter for me. That’s why I want to do my best and succeed in life.
ReplyDeleteNo matter what the situation may be, looking towards the future is what drives me. For instants, I applied at Columbia, not only because I love the school, but also because I knew it would give me the best education and training down the road for my career choice. Like myself, the characters in They Poured Fire on Us From the Sky look forward for hope in a new place, and a better life. While I am in the Bridge program, I would like to show the teachers my true potential and that I am ready to take the next step in my life, no matter what is thrown my way.
ReplyDeleteThe future will forever hang over our heads, changing everyday, with every opportunity we take and every mistake we make. Coming to Columbia has been the biggest opportunity I have had, and I look forward to what it has in store for me.
What drives me is difference and creation of something bigger than me. There are so many people in the world with different opinions and backgrounds. Some people get so convinced about their own thoughts and truths that they forget to be open-minded towards others. As a person I try to stay open minded, because I know there is always going to be something new to learn, and something that will change. When I discovered Columbia I immediately became intrigued and felt like I found out what steps to take so that I could accomplish my goal. The environment at Columbia is so open to difference that anyone can feel like they belong without even trying to fit the standards of others. The Faculty at Columbia wants to show everyone how to use your talent and unique personality to make a difference in what u believe is wrong or what could be better .Columbia embraces difference head on, and molds it into an abstract yet guided personality. While attending Columbia I plan to make a connection with other students, as well as faculty who can help me verbalize my thoughts several ways, and then transfer them onto a camera so I can make what I’m saying clear. It’s always said “actions speak louder than words” but I believe putting them together will cause the best outcome. So far in the bridge program I have learned one way to make a difference is by making connections with others, and getting them to see things your way, and add to it rather it is constructive criticism, or encouragement. Everyone needs some type of push or impacting experience so they learn how to perfect their work on their own. When I accomplish my goals I want to start a group that will spread a message that its ok to be different, because if we were all the same art wouldn’t exist and neither would happiness. Difference is what make makes the world go around so that discovering something new can become a brilliant creation that impacts more than 1 person.
ReplyDeleteThe goals that I setup when enrolled into Columbia were great for me, but then
ReplyDeleteit turned into expections for my family members, my close friends as well as
when i would tell others about what I wanted to do for my future. To this very day,
I have two missions that I now have set for myself: my goals of being a successful
music producer with an Masters in business and administration and everyone seeing
that i become those two great things. For Mark in the book "Lost in Place", I don't think
I could possibly relate to him. Mark and I are in two totally different boats in some way.
With him being a Zen monk and following the ways of being a kung fu master/guru his
family isn't really fond or supportive of his idea, with me on the other hand I have people
supporting the ideas that I share with them. The only similarity i can see between us two
is the fact that we both have "dreams" or goals we set for ourselves.
The Idea of being around people that love music as much as I do is what drove me to Columbia. I wanted to go to a school that had creative people that I could learn form and gather information to better myself as an artist. As a kid I wanted to be around people that goals are the same as mine because it would give me a sense of competition in a positive manner and build relationships with people who use music as an outlet as I do.
ReplyDeleteI believe work ethic is vital to being successful in anything and if I work hard on my craft then I can apply that same mindset to my education, won’t be an effortless mission but I’m willing to put forth the effort so that I have the career I want.
My goal is to pass the bridge program and once I become a Columbia student I plan on building relationships with people and being a student that can have a encouraging impact on people and allow someone to have that same impact on me.
I applied at Columbia after being told about it from my friend that attends here named William Norwood. I’ve always had a passion for music and Columbia seemed like the best place for me. My goal is to one day get signed by a record label or own one. My academic goals are to give everything my all and do my best in everything I do here at Columbia. As far as the bridge programs goes I just really want to show teachers, my parents and everyone I have what it takes to make it in the college world. I look forward to having a job I love to do and I think that is what drives me the most. I can’t see myself doing something I don’t like to do for the rest of my life.
ReplyDeleteWhat drove me was that my ASL teacher told about this school and the school had what I want to major in. She told me another school but I really didn’t want to go way for home and like where I live. I really didn’t want to go out of state. I wanted something close to home and yes I do like my home town, but if I have to move or live some were else then I will. I hear from some of my peers that it’s an incredible school and it was close to home. The other thing the compose want what I was expecting it was amazing. It was total opposite of what I was thinking. My creative passion was my ASL teacher first of all. My creative goals and academic I want to do something love and not just another boring job.
ReplyDeleteI believe it to be a true statement, that "passion attracts passion". Before i applied to Columbia, i knew a hand-full of students that were already attending Columbia. Whenever i would talk to them, they would speak so highly of and passionately about this wonderful place where i would be surrounded by people that are just as driven about music as i am. What drove me to speedily apply to Columbia was the fact that i would be taught by teachers already in the field, i would be surrounded by musicians just as passionate as myself, and because those things seemed like the perfect ingredients for an academically healthy atmosphere and a long sucessful career as a professional. My creative goals line up with my academic goals because as i continue to network with other musicians, i can also learn from them and ask them for help with things i may be learning in class. i have many academic goals as a potential columbia student, starting with successfully passing the Bridge program. I have a strong desire and thirst for knowledge within and outside of my major. I hope to learn everything there is to know about what i do one day and i know columbia would be a major catalyst to acquiring that knowledge.
ReplyDeleteI feel what drives me is the laughter and joy of other people. When I create something the only satisfaction that I get is the look on someone else face that matches what I was trying to display in my artwork. I feel my biggest passion though is making people laugh because I get a satisfaction knowing that I am the reason why someone's day just got a little bit brighter or I have made a connection with someone else. The goals that I want to accomplish with the bridge program is that I want to learn everything I need to learn to be able to attend Columbia in the fall. When I get to Columbia I want to prefect my talent and skill and also learn what I must do to produce my own adult humor cartoons like my idle Seth Mcfarlin. In the book They rained fire on us from the sky the boys seemed to all be driven by a series of simple things. For instance they all wish to make their father proud and to show him that one day they too will become strong and brave just like him. They also strive to protect the village like all the grown men do. I feel the biggest thing that drives them is the fact that they wish to be strong and brave hunters just like their fathers and fathers before them. I can relate to this book in some way because we share the fact that we all strive for one thing and once we get it we will be better off then we were before.
ReplyDeleteI heard a lot of good things about Columbia all through high school. Everybody told me that I needed to apply here. What drives me is waking up every morning.
ReplyDeleteWhat drives me?
ReplyDeleteWell what really drives me is my family, my last year teacher, and specially myself.
What drove me to apply to Columbia?
I didn’t have any interest in stuff I couldn’t express my feelings and art. Really the only real thing I like in this world is music.
How do my creative goals line up with my your academic goals and what are your goals for your time here at Bridge program as well as for the time you spend at Columbia and when you start to pursue your post-college career path.
My academic goals are probably lower then my then my creative goal is more interesting to me. But I also know that my academic goal I would probably have to work on more.
What is “driving” my character in my book?
Well it would be both his dad and his kung fu and the path of being a Zen monk.
What are their goals so far?
My character has a little bit more goals then he can handle. One of his goals is being a Zen monk and practicing being awesome in kung fu.
Can you make any connections to your own goals and their goals?
Yeah we do have a connection in our goals Me and Mark want to be good at we want to do is our goals.