Tuesday, July 24, 2012
The Light Bulb (K.'s question)
When did the "light bulb" go off for you about your artistic passion? When and how did you realize you wanted to pursue film, illustration, theater, radio, etc? Who or what inspired you in that particular moment? Think about these questions and describe for us your moment of discovery and how your mind turned on an axis, opening up to your artistic path. Perhaps it was a series of moments, but discuss the process of a light bulb going off and how your own thinking changed about what you want to go after as a maker in this world.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
The light bulb went off for me in middle school. Obsessed with Disney music and American Idol GameBoy game songs. Seeing the movie Jersey Girl with Ben Afflect made me realize Public Relations was my field, it was Ben Afflect's character job. He represented Will Smith in the movie. He loved his job and lived in New York City. Ben's character had job benefits like tickets to awards shows like the VMAs. After three hours of Googling my heart was sold.
ReplyDeleteI have an incredibly musical immediate family. My dad is a music teacher, my mom sang me to sleep as a child, my sister was the lead roll of every play in high school, my other sister was in advanced choir as well as myself and the rest of my family. I've been singing all my life and wanted to make a profession out of it until I started playing guitar in 8th grade. I started playing guitar for a dumb reason I guess. I got guitar hero 3, and i was so good at it I thought I could be just like the guitarist in the game. My dad was very excited that I wanted a guitar, being a guitar player as well. So for christmas I got my first guitar. A crappy squiar by fender, a standard beginner guitar. Along with the guitar I also got an amp with a bunch of different effect settings on it. I still use it today, I love that little thing. I went right downstairs with my set up and just played for hours and hours. I would spend the 6 months playing nonstop except to go to school. I got good very fast having already played the bass for a couple years. Two summers later I realized what kind of music was my favorite to play. It's called post hardcore. When I found my style I realized what I wanted to do in life. To be in a post hardcore band, touring, having fun doing exactly what I want to do. I would literally do anything to make my dream come true.
ReplyDeletewhat type of music do you like to sing :D
DeleteWell it's hard to say because I'm the type of person that listen to all of them. I'm not a rapper type of guy I like to sing, knowing fully well can't sing like that but I like to have fun with it.
DeleteI was always very artistic as a child, and because I was good at it I liked it. I did not figure out what I wanted to do with my life until a few months in of senior year. I knew that I wanted to do something along the lines of acting but because can be shy I decided that if I cannot be in front of the video camera i'll be behind it. I have a great passion for acting and film. I wouldn't say that anyone helped make my decision but my cousin and his girlfriend constantly reminded me of how important it is to further my education. As soon as I realized I should take film i've had my heart set on that.
ReplyDeleteI really cannot say when the "light bulb" went off in my head, but I do remember when I was in pre-school I have drew or painted a picture of my dog, Capone. I always like to do arts and crafts when I was little but I didn’t know that I was good at it. When I got older, my mom told me that I drew or painted a picture of Capone and that it looks exactly like him. When I realize I want to be a Video Game Designer I was in junior year of high school, and how did I realized you could say that I like to play them most of the time. I really don’t have anybody who had inspired me to do so. I like to draw pictures of characters that I see on TV and Video Games, most of them would be difficult for me to draw in paper. I do know that we could create them with technology, having hands on experiences. And for learning the fundamentals of Game Designing would help me succeed in life.
ReplyDeleteI've always known I wanted some kind of career in music, but didn't know how to go about it, considering I’ve never been a musician myself. When I was introduced to my all-time favorite band Taking Back Sunday in sixth grade, music became more then a passion for me, it became an escape. After I was introduced to them, I started looking into the members’ backgrounds because their experiences and personal meanings behind their lyrics intrigued me so much. From there, I started studying the backgrounds of other bands that I enjoyed, becoming more in touch with their meanings in their arts. Around eighth grade is when I started looking into music journalism, which then lead me to Columbia. I immediately fell in love with both. I had never been so sure about a career or a college in my entire life. Having my degree in journalism from here will not only get me the right tools and education I need, but it will also get my foot in the door to pretty much anywhere I would want to go in journalism. Being someone, hands-on, in the background of music is something I want to do, more than anything, and I will try with every part of me, to make this dream, a reality.
ReplyDeleteThe light bulb for my artistic passion definitely came on around the time I entered high school. I will never forget when I first started making the passion behind it at and working with other people of instrumentation, and producing. A lot of what was behind it was the natural passion I had towards music and then it started from there. What really mattered in me wanting to take a step further were friends who had similar crafts and passions. What I think made the light bulb go off were a serious of moments from having a passion through exposure of art within my family at a young age, and having other relatives who wanted to pursue art as well. This definitely changed my outlook on what I wanted to make in this world, and how to do it. The respect of different cultures also had a big thing to do with this as well. Hearing other people share their histories and view of music while I was sharing mine made it much more realistic for me to pursue a career in music. I think me being at Columbia helps bring the small steps forward. With me being here helps to draw more inspiration towards my goals, due to the other success stories I have heard so far, and hearing about the work ethic towards their craft.
ReplyDeleteMy name is Katherine Latimer and one day I hope to become a famous movie writer and director. The light bulb went off for me when I was the age of 12. I had over 200 Disney movies which I mostly watched the behind the scenes clips. I loved to watch movies with supernatural events. The behind the scenes clips of how the movie was made, and how it came to life is really what inspired me because knowing what technology and tools you get to work with to create another world, or idea is an experience that only comes once in a life time. As I watched movies I always had ideas of how something could be different or make more of an impact just through the camera. The more movies I watched the more my ideas I had, and got more inspired to write them down. The first time I wrote a story I felt like I was a person who could project a massage without making others people feel like they don’t belong or there stupid for thinking a certain way. Writing stories is always tricky because you want to have edge be funny and connect with your audience, and what happens in day to day life. I am currently writing 6 stories that were inspired through art, anger, and things seen only through my eyes. I believe if I study hard to perfect the way I show my talent for telling stories, and communicating them to audiences using visual aspects, that I will have started my journey to making and difference in the minds of all.
ReplyDeleteThe lighting of the bulb that went off inside of my head happened when I was about 17yrs old during my junior year
ReplyDeleteof high school. At first I had great intentions on being a great composer and an inspring musician because of the fact
that I played in my high school band during my high school career. I was a percussion player that had an open heart to
all musical creativity thats why i choose a career in music because thats how i sought to express emotions through a
single piece of equipment. THE ONE PERSON that inspired me to go to Columbia and to pursue my passion in music
producing was Mr. Johnnie Walker of the Von Stueben high school band. He was the sole inspiration to what I want to do
with the rest of my life!
I had older cousins that make beats and I would watch him create a beat an even a vibe off of one sound. He would hear one sound and that would open up his mind to other sounds and what he wanted to use. I knew that I wanted to be involved in music when I watched Ryan Leslie and Kanye West on YouTube and they made beats from inspiration and that inspired me to do the same.
ReplyDeleteI once was discouraged about being a producer because I thought that only chosen ones could be able to craft music but from watching the videos and hearing them explain how they do it made me want to develop my skills and hopefully become as great as them or better. I also rap but I want to able to generate my own beats and sounds and speak from my point of view and if I can create a complete song done myself than I feel I can reach an audience better.
The light bulb came to my head when my mom started dating the man she is married too today back in 2006. He played the guitar and sang every time I seen him. One day my mom took my friend and I to his house and I seen all his mixing boards and microphones and fell in love wit it all. My friend and I recorded are first song we ever made. From then on I just wanted to learn everything there is to know in mixing and mastering music. My step dad bought me all the software and equipment I needed and built a sound proof recording booth in my basement. Every time I’m listening to something on the radio or Internet and I hear something I like I just want to learn how it was the person made that sound. I then met my friend William who attends here at Columbia and I go to his studio and just watch him mix and master music for hours. I never get bored with it I can eat and sleep in the studio and not ever have to leave.
ReplyDeleteThe light bulb when off for me my last year of high school and my second year of American Sign Language ASL for short. I saw that the class I was taking in high school was too easy for form. That why I was in honors but it was easy in a hard way I also saw that I really like signing and it was easy. I realize what I want to pursue ASL because I really liked sign things and it seem kind of cool that u can talk with the movement for your hands and using you hand and facial expressions. Who inspired me was both of my ASL teachers in high school Mrs. Saver and Mrs. Corrigan. I want to show other people that there is ASL that is talking and communicating with deaf or hard of hearing people. I knew this one girl in high school that I didn’t know she was hard of hearing and she should me her hearing aid.
ReplyDeleteFor me, my “light bulb” experience was gradual but started when I was about 9 years old. Until that point I knew that playing drums was the “cool” thing to do in church; but when I first picked up a pair of drumsticks and started playing, I knew music was what I wanted to do for the rest of my life. The feeling of having endless possibilities on the drum set overwhelmed and inspired me. I have since always looked at drums and music as a true ART. I became serious about singing and after i started playing piano/organ and started writing and recording my own songs/music, i knew that although i love performing; composing, writing and producing was my true niche and i knew i wanted to produce records for a living.
ReplyDeleteEver since I was a little kid I have been drawing and doodling. When I was in younger I would always get in trouble for drawing on tests or when asked to circle the answer of a question I would make the circle into a mouth of a lion or the body of a whale. I was constantly zoning out into my own little world of illustration and doodles. When I got older I was continuously getting in trouble for not paying attention in class because I was drawing comic strips. My dad was angry with me and for my punishment I was not allowed to draw for the rest of that school year. As the year went on I stopped drawing and I totally forgot about how much I enjoyed it. I switched my focus to video games and hanging out with my friends and would only draw when it was required of me. I didn’t pick up a pencil for fun until my junior year of high school. I was 17 years old and I took an art class because I heard the class was filled with beautiful senior girls, needless to say when I arrived I was pleased. The teacher gave us assignments and I would finish and have a amazing project with very little effort. Different girls began coming up to me asking if I could draw them cute cartoon animals and I would do so in a matter of seconds. Art class quickly became my favorite class and with the new attention came a new found confidence in myself that I hadn’t had for a long time. I began being more social and realized that other people thought the things I said and did reminded them of a family guy type related humor. As the year progressed my projects became more and more thought out and took more and more time, each being better then the next. I started relating my humor into my artwork and wanted to expand to a larger audience. I began to post my cartoons on Facebook and get notification after notification on how clever or funny they were. At that moment on I knew I wanted to do this forever. Creating witty comical cartoons just for the sake of making other people laugh.
ReplyDeleteThe light bulb went off in my head when I was 10. I notice that I couldn't had trouble talking in front of people but I could sing, dance, act a fool, etc. when I'm on stage.
ReplyDeleteor being a smart ass.
DeleteThe light bulb went off for me my last year of my senior year. My teachers would put up essay questions of what would I think I would be doing after college ? and i ask my that same question all the time but didn’t know what I was interested in I wanted to do something that would make a change in the world in some way big or small. I would always ask my teacher if I can listen to my ipod that’s the only thing that would change my negative day into a positive. But as soon as the bell rings I would have to put it away. Then I think to myself I love music and that would be something I definitely see myself in music production.
ReplyDeleteReally my ipod inspired me in that particular moment in school.
When I knew what I wanted to do and practice on producing music.
Now I’m starting two projects making a little workshop studio and helping my friend make a whole mixtape.